We debated whether to do our final laundry here today or tomorrow, but decided earlier was better. The concierge desk issues a chip card coded for the washers & driers, and there are a limited number available (both cards and equipment). If we were going to run into capacity issues, better today than tomorrow.
First laundry had been one load easily (the machines have a 15# capacity), so I assumed the same for this round. One mustn't be caught managing one's own luggage, and we use a suitcase as a laundry bag, so I head down to the concierge desk first, then up to the room, then down to the lavanderia. To discover that we were DEFINITELY two full loads this round!
No worries, Load #1 went into the one available washer and I trotted back to the desk to add value to the card. Turns out they couldn't exactly do THAT, they had to issue a SECOND card, all with lots of hand-printing on 3-part NCR paper forms. Kind of unbelievable at this point in history!
The laundry room works very smoothly, no one really wants to be in it longer than needed so folks are pretty prompt in getting their stuff out when the cycle's done. I've been taking up residence in the lobby adjoining the area, which generates some pleasant conversation as some folks take an interest in the needlework. A couple I'd spoken with before tucked into a pair of chairs and were absorbed in their e-readers, and my needlework was pretty spread out on a couch-like place, when a group came into the area discussing the need for a chair. I tucked things into a more reasonable chunk of space and offered up most of this seating ... which was good, but what they REALLY wanted was a wheelchair as one of their number had done something to her knee which made it at best unwise, and maybe not POSSIBLE, for her to walk at this time. A security guy came by and radioed for the chair, but to my amazement accepted her decline of any medical attention. We were certainly not in the lawsuit-happy USA, where I have no doubt she'd have been in an ambulance bound for the ER even if they had to strap her down!
That was enough excitement for the morning, and (thanks to the timer on my Kindle) I was due to take the second load out of the dryer now. A Spanish-speaking lady and her (apparent) daughter arrived and were a bit overwhelmed by the instruction placards on the wall, even though one set was in Spanish. They had almost 20# of laundry, but were committed to a single load, so they got it all stuffed in somehow. I was able to help them figure out the sequence to pay for and start the load, hope it all worked out OK.
With our wardrobe all folded and sorted out by owner, I rolled the suitcase back upstairs and scooted down to the desk to turn in the chip cards (and get my deposits refunded). PHEW!
While downtown on Thursday, Linda and Claudette had picked up a couple of grocery items so we could enjoy another augmented guacamole, and a bottle of cava for a farewell toast to our enjoyable stay. I busied myself pan-toasting the poblanos, tomatoes and garlic to make the mixture that would complement the avocados. But WAIT! We are down to ONE LIME, and we have beers AND guacamole to enhance!
Can't have THAT problem, so I set off to the little market in the center of the development. I also hoped they would have a small can of salsa verde so I could make another batch of the good sauce we enjoyed on the skirt steak ... to present to Oscar as a little thank-you. Happily I won on both counts ... and then the dessert counter reached out and grabbed me. Having no business bringing any form of additional food into the room, I nonetheless bought three beautiful and interesting little cakes which we'll split and enjoy with the bubbly.
Now that we had limes in hand, the guacamole came together in a wink. Linda and Claudette had wisely split the remaining two prawns from Thursday dinner earlier, and I'd snacked on some chips. By the time the guacamole was done ... so were we! Party girls that we are, we snuggled into our respective e-readers for an hour and went to bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment